Job by NRC (Norwegian Refugee Council)
Role and responsibilities
The WASH WASH Project Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of the WASH projects within the Somali Region.
- Line management of WASH Project staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures;
- Contribute to WASH strategies development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps;
- Manage and implement a delegated portfolio of WASH projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from AMP in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality;
- Provide regular progress reports to APM;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities;
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- To ensure minimum standards of technical quality in all activities and interventions, which are technically appropriate, realistic, in line with project specific objectives and on budget.
- Undertake contract management and tendering processes of the diverse contractors for WASH hardware and software activities.
- Plan, coordinate and implement NRC WASH activities (Public Health Engineering, Public Health Promotion, Construction) in the Somali Region.
- Ensure that assessment, program design and implementation consider the needs and vulnerabilities in Somali Region.
- Ensure that WASH program design is informed by and integrated with NRCs’ other priority sectors of ICLA, Livelihood and Food Security (LFS), Education and Protection.
- To ensure that sustainable systems are set in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water and sanitation infrastructure, including the provision of all necessary training.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation process to ensure timely delivery of programme activities (for example, monitoring against logframes, individual performance management workplans).
- Prepare timely financial and narrative reports on project activities in compliance with internal NRC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Ensure appropriate management and use of NRC resources at all times
- Manage project staff on a day-to-day level working with other technical departments, security, logistics, administration and senior management staff (depending on assignment).
- Ensure that NRC’s work in WASH programming is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government and represent organization at Interagency Coordination meetings.
- Contribute to learning, experiences and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives relating to WASH through case studies and documentation.
- Degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, Public Health, Environmental Health, Hydrology;
- 5 years’ experience from working as a WASH Coordinator or similar in a humanitarian/recovery context with an INGO/ NGOs’;
- Experience in implementing integrated WASH activities (both software and hardware);
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in Somali and English, both written and verbal.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of the operating context in Somali Region.
- Knowledge of the local languages is an advantage;
- Experience in use of design software’s like AutoCAD, ArcGIS and statistical packages;
- Knowledge and experience of the application of SPHERE and links to emergency and longer-term development practice;
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- Strategic Thinking
How to Apply
WASH Technical Assistant
The purpose of WASH Technical Assistant Position is to contribute with specific technical competences to project implementation. This position will normally do entail implementing responsibility on the field. He/she will be responsible for assessment, beneficiary’s selection, conducting awareness sessions and distribution.
The following is a brief description of the role.
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work- and Professional Development Plan.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Responsible for preparing of drawings and BoQ for WASH packages, assessment of Hygiene situation in project area, assessment, vulnerable beneficiary selection, project planning, implementation and monitoring for construction activities and quality maintenance of WASH in target area
- Implementation and monitoring of constructions.
- Distribute the hygiene kits to the targeted and planned beneficiaries.
- To visit the target population to discuss the importance of using and constructing latrines, disposing of faces and hand washing and any other issues as determined by the project coordinator;
- Assessment on site. Village assessment; identify needs and resources, shelter type, data on returnees/ IDPs
- Beneficiary selection. Identify vulnerable families eligible for shelter assistance according to established selection criteria.
- Make sure that all program data are accurately collected and reported.
- Participate in field missions, WASH activities monitoring, and technical assistance to beneficiaries.
- Collection and analysis WASH data and report WASH officer.
- Maintain WASH beneficiaries’ documentation both on field and office levels and on its profiles.
- Distribution of hygiene kit
- Provision and completion of all field related forms, contracts and retain in profile.
- Beneficiaries and community workers training regarding latrine design.
- Produce reports on weekly, monthly and require base as well
- Conduct the meeting with community/or village elders, Malaks, local authority and other stakeholders at field level.
- Support Emergency Coordinator. Or PM to prioritize the emergency activities in different region such as field assessments, distribution, responses, PDM, risk monitoring and coordination.
- Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- knowledge of English language
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Graduated from Civil Engineering, Water engineering and related faculty
- Experience with designing, implementing and monitoring of construction projects
- Minimum 1-3 years of experience working with NGOs in a similar WASH fields.
- Previous work experience with a satisfactory performance in the same or similar functional area preferably with INGOs.
- Computer literacy.
- Fluency in local language Somali/Amharic both written and verbal
- Knowledge of emergency interventions and or programmes programmes
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
How to Apply